Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bathing horses, and taking care of sores

Chloe has had a sore about the size of a nickel on her muzzle for a while now. But I never really gave it a good look, until about a week ago. It's pretty bad! So my mom called the vet (not our normal one, cause my mom couldn't get a hold of him), and the vet said it's probably a Summer sore. I would have taken a picture of the sore, but my camera is getting fixed right now. I tried to find a picture of a summer sore on the Internet, but couldn't find one. Oh well. It might have grossed you out anyways.

So the vet said that I should put fly spray around the sore to keep flies out of it, and put my 'Corona Ointment' on it. The vet also said to give Chloe ivermectin de-worming medicine, then give it to her again four days later, and call her back. I'll probably have to give it to Chloe some more. And if the sore is a Summer sore, then it should heal.

Luckily we had that kind of de-worming medicene. I gaver her that (four days ago). I'll have to do it again today after I feed the horses. I also de-wormed Valley the same day I de-wormed Chloe FYI.

The day after that (I think Tuesday) I gave both horses baths!! First time I've bathed Valley, and the 1st time 3 years I've given Chloe a bath. LOL. I gave Valley a bath first. She did good at first, but she got tired of the bath, and moved around some. I think she just didn't like being tied up for so long. But afterwards she was soo pretty! Her mane was SHINING. She was soo clean! Most of her (especially her neck) was sooo white and pretty! but her legs (especially one of them. Can't remember which one) are pretty dark! As soon as I get my camera fixed, I'll take a pic. Well, I guess I'll have to give her another bath when my camera gets fixed so you can see how pretty she is/was..

Oh, after I gave her a bath, I put some 'Mane n Tail' hoof moisturizer stuff on her front hooves -- all over them. It's also good for humans nails, but it feels weird, so I'm only using it on horses. I would have put them on her back feet too, but if I try to pick them up, she'll kick me. So I need some help on that one.

Also when I was trying to clean her hindquarters, she kept kicking at me. Once when I was really close to her back feet, she lifted her foot up as a kicking warning. I'm so glad she didn't actually kick at me, I would've gotten hit. But it made me jump when she picked up her hoof, so I was really careful after that.

Chloe.. was -- surprisingly -- a lot harder to give a bath than Valley was!! I tried tying her up, but she pulled back when I turned on the water hose. Luckily she didn't break the lead rope like she's done before; instead it just came untied. So I was trying to hold her and give her a bath, but she moved around too much, so I had to get my mom to help me. So my mom held her, and did the water hose, while I scrubbed soap into her. Afterwards her mane was soo pretty! I combed most of it, but she walked away before I could finish the last part. The rest of her didn't look much different though.. lol.

After I gave her a bath, I put some fly spray on a cotton ball, and put it around her sore (actually mom did all this part). Then mom put the ointment on a cotton ball, and put it all over Chloe's sore. Then mom fly sprayed her. I also fly sprayed Valley before I let her go (after her bath I mean).


Oh, get this. As soon as I put Valley in the pasture, she laid down to roll in the dust right inside the pasture! I was like, "Valley! I just gave you a bath!!" I started to go in the pasture, but she got up before I could. She had a little dirt on one side of her. *rolls eyes*

-Sarah

p.s. When I was giving Valley a bath, she stepped on my toe, and it bruised it! I couldn't see a bruise, but I sure could feel it!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

ordering ambien online ambien sleep pills side effects - zolpidem ambien half life

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium for social anxiety disorder - diazepam valium expired

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam valium dosage for small dogs - buy valium online mexico

Anonymous said...

zolpidem high long term use of zolpidem - zolpidem no prescription needed

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online diazepam half life drug test - buy diazepam cheap online

Anonymous said...

buy ativan purchase ativan online canada - generic of ativan

Anonymous said...

buy xanax online legally order xanax online canada - drug interactions xanax birth control

Anonymous said...

ativan medication 1mg lorazepam compared 1 mg xanax - stop ativan addiction

Anonymous said...

soma cheap somanabolic muscle maximizer complaints - soma online consultation

Anonymous said...

valium no prescription valium online 5mg - valium half life dogs

Anonymous said...

order ambien ambien cr 7 night trial - ambien show up urine drug screen

Anonymous said...

buy valium overnight delivery valium 10 mg forums - valium muscle relaxant

Anonymous said...

cheap valium online can you buy valium over the counter in canada - valium 5 effects

Anonymous said...

valium 5mg valium navy drug test - images of valium pills

Anonymous said...

buy carisoprodol online soma online legit - buy somatropin canada

Anonymous said...

buy soma online carisoprodol 350 mg opiate - generic soma mg

Anonymous said...

can you buy valium online kind medication valium - valium dosage xanax

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me