Sunday, July 27, 2008

Runaway horses episode 2

Yesterday, I'm sitting in the living room, and someone comes knocking on the door saying, "Do you have two horses loose?". Mom's like, "I don't think so. Sarah? Did you forget to put the horses up?". I'm like, "OMG!! I forgot!" I jumped up to get halters and leadropes. We were just about to leave, and Bailey (dog I'm pet-sitting) hit herfoot on a mini trampoline that Adam and his friend brought in the house. She screamed and screamed. Mom and I thought she broke her foot, and we didn't know what to do. But then she calmed down, and was fun after a few minutes, so mom and I left (on foot). We walked on the loop we live on for a little bit, and we didn't see the horses, so mom went back to the house to get the van, but I kept walking.

I walked. And walked. I had walked kind of but not really far. About 1 1/2 - 2 miles. I thought I saw a deer in the woods, so I stopped. A couple of minutes later, I saw a doe walk across the road about a hundred feet away I guess. Anyways, I walked about one or two minutes farther, and then I saw mom in the van coming down the road towards me. So I got in, and Adam and his friend (James) were in there as well as mom.

I had a pet-sitting job of feeding some horses on that road, so we stopped by their house and I fed the horses real quick. We went back to the otherside of the loop, and we saw Zoe's brother Nivek running down the road towards us. He said Valley and Chloe were in their meadow (which is right next to our pasture) and they were going to let them back into our pasture through a gate (actually it's a fence made into a gate). So mom drove Adam, James, and I over to my grandparents house (cause the part of the pasture that is right next to Nivek's family's meadow is at my grandparent's house. see, our pasture's kind of big. Several acres). Me, Adam, and James got out of the van, and went into the pasture, and mom went home.

Nivek came down there to the meadow after a few mintues, and he got his dad to come over and open the gate/fence. Valley was eating all the delicious looking grass, and Chloe was enjoying the shade (not grazing). Nivek's and Zoe's dad said that we could just keep the horses in there, and when they want to, they can just go back into our pasture, and he'll close the gate/fence later.

Well, that was my adventure for the day!

2 comments:

Zoe said...

The horses came running down the hill behind or house.

Sarah said...

lol. is that why you and ur grandpa were in the car? or what?

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me