Friday, November 7, 2008

The Trouble a Horse Can Get Into

Yesterday, I got a forwarded horsey e-mail, and I just had to share it with you! You never know how much your horse can get in trouble ;)


"The young filly needed to be freed from the tree after curiosity got the better of it and it wedged its head between separate sections of the tree. The horse, called Gracie, was unable to free itself and could have been in danger were it not for a passer-by who was able to come to the rescue after he heard the horse whinnying. Jason Harschbarger, a neighbor in the town of Pullman, West Virginia, USA, arrived at the scene which resembled the image of Winnie the Pooh getting stuck in the honey tree. Mr. Harschbarger collected his tools and was able to carefully set the horse free by using a chainsaw to slowly cut the wood around its neck. However, before he did so, he was able to take a few photographs.
Fortunately for Gracie, she was able to escape her ordeal with only a few minor injuries and, according to Mr. Harschbarger, is on the road to recovery. Following his rescue operation, Mr. Harschbarger told a local television station: 'She has a few cuts on her face and ear. Last I heard her jaw was a little dislocated but I think it is healing up and she can eat on her own again.' It remains unclear why Gracie put her head into the gap.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness!!! POOR GRACIE!!!!!!
I hope she recovers really soon!!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY JAMAICAN PICKLES! Unfortunately, I laughed. But fear not, I feel bad for Gracie, too! But those pictures ARE funny! WOW! lol :-/ :D

Jordyn Daniels said...

Man thats got to have not felt good! Maybe she thought that she was a raccoon or squirrel(ROTFL)? Poor horse though..... Wonder why she didn't fight it more?

Southern Commander
PS:LOVE the blog!

Sarah said...

@ Mellimaus: I know, I couldn't help but laught either :P

@ SC: I wonder that too.. LOL! Thanx!

Zuzu said...

poor horse!! I must say that those pictures are amusing though... ;)

Sarah said...

I must agree ;)

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me