Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pictures of Valley!

Well guess what? I found my camera! And I've been taking a bunch of pictures, including ones of Valley. And I will post some later in this post.
For approximately a week now, I've had Valley in the upper pasture because I put up a rope that goes from the last pole in the lake that has wire on it, across to a tree, so she can't get across to the part of the fence that doesn't have wire on it. I need to take a picture of that because sounds confusing... Anyways, and so far she's stayed in, enjoying eating all the grass and running around the big space.
Yesterday, while I was out taking pictures of the dogs and my kitten playing, my dad (who was out walking around the yard like he always does) and he asked if i wanted to go see Valley (I think she was close to the gate then, ya know, easy access. So I go inside, grab a couple big carrots, and run down to the gate (camera in hand). Dad's in the pasture petting Valley who is right by the fence.

hmm.. she looks weird in that pic. Anyways, then we gave her the carrots, and Adam came down and gave her one then left, lol.



Adam feeding Valley a carrot. he took forever to give it to her. poor Valley just stretched and stretched her neck before he gave it to her :P


















My dad feeding Valley a carrot


















Adam torturing Valley again (people, not literal torture)


















And then i took a few more pics:





















Then I ran up to the house, got Valley's halter and reins and ran back down to the pasture. I put the halter on her and lead her to where dad had wandered off into the pasture. It took a few tries because she kept moving, but I got up on Valley (bareback, and I'd been too lazy to get my helmet although I should have. You'll find out in a sec, be patient, gosh). Dad took the lead rope/reins and started lead Valley, while I sat on her back holding onto her mane.
I signaled with my legs when dad turned, stopped, or went forwards. Valley always walks way too close to the person leading her, and pushing up against them. I've learned somewhat to push her away, but she still does it.. And she was doing it to dad real bad, so he kept turning her in circles and my leg got tired from pressing her side. She finally got tired of walking around the pasture, and going in a circle every time she walked way ahead of dad (which was very often) and/or pressing up against him, and she sorta behaved.
Jesse was in the pasture, and Valley really dislikes her, and the flies were bothering her, so a few times Valley acted up. Meaning, she reared! Twice! First time ever while I was on her. It wasn't like a huge rear, and a little more than a half-rear... but luckily I was holding onto her mane otherwise I probably would have fallen off. Surprisingly, it didn't scare me much.
Well anyway, after walkin around a while, I fed Valley in the barn and then went back to the house.
Yup.
K, bye.
-Sarah

No comments:

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me