Sunday, September 14, 2008

More Lunging with saddle

Howdy again.

Before I say anything else, FYI there is a post I just posted about yesterday below this post. So PLEASE read that BEFORE you read this post if you haven't yet. And please leave a comment on one of these posts. :) Thanx!!

When I got home from church today, I ate lunch, then I went out to feed the horses. I was going to work with Valley again, so I got all my stuff together and went outside. I fed them horses of mine, and while Valley was eating, I put a saddle pad on her, and attempted to put the western saddle on her, but it wasn't working for some reason, can't remember, so I put the English Saddle on her. I took her down to where she normally grazes, flexed her, and started lunging her to the left.

I made Valley start with a walk just so she could get used to the saddle. Then I made her trot. She did pretty well the more I did. Then I stopped her, flexed her on her right side, then sent her off to the right. That is her, and my worst side to do ANYTHING with her.

First I couldn't get her to walk, then when I get her to trot, every time she got to the same spot every time in the circle, she'd slow down, or jump, or pull, or buck, or all at the same time. She kicked out basically every time she got to that spot. But I think it was because there was a tree almost in her way, so I moved over, and she didn't kick anymore, but still did the rest. I FINALLY got her to go one and a half circles fairly well.

When Valley finally did it fairly good, I let her stop and eat some grass. She was sweaty, and happy for a break. I had planned on lunging and turn Valley in different directions, but we had worked a while on lunging her to the right, I've decided to do it tomorrow instead.

I put my helmet on, and lowered the stirrups on the saddle. I put my foot in the stirrup, and put pressure to get on, and the saddle slipped to the side I was getting on. It was pretty loose. The girth wasn't very loose, but I couldn't tighten it anymore, and I couldn't get on without the saddle slipping, or someone to hold the saddle straight for me, but I didn't have anyone right then, so I decided to just take the saddle off and put her away.

I took Valley back up to the shed, and tied her up. Then I took the saddle and pad off, and put them away. I brushed Valley where the saddle had been, untied her, and took her to the water hose. I turned on the water, and started to spray her Valley off. She did pretty good, but moved around some, especially when the water was on her hind legs.

When I was done spraying Valley off, I turned off the water, and walked Valley in a few big circles to cool her down. I should have done that before I sprayed her off, but I didn't think about it. Anyhow, I put her back into the pasture, and she cantered off I think. Well, maybe she didn't. Honestly, I don't remember. I just had to say something. I couldn't leave the sentence saying 'Anyways, I put her back into the pasture'. See? That would have sounded bad.

Anywho, I'll type later!
Sarah

4 comments:

Mellimaus said...

Hey!

That's soo cool that you rode Valley with a saddle! (Post below)...You're so lucky you're training her-I would love to do that one day. I want to have a breeding/training stable. :)

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Sarah said...

Yeah, I can't wait till I can ride her. Maybe someday soon you can get a foal, raise it and train it. :)

Thanx for the encouragement!!

Anika said...

Woah! Congratulations! I agree with Melissa, I would LOVE to train my own foal and everything. But it'll have to wait.

Btw, I love her name, Valentine, and Valley, but I've always liked the name Valentine for a horse. =]

Anika

Anonymous said...

Cool! To bad you didn't get to ride her this time though:(
But still cool, and great job!!

-Mitch

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me