Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lungeing with saddle

Howdy ya'll!!



Guess what? YESTERDAY I SAT ON VALLEY WHEN SHE HAD THE ENGLISH SADDLE ON HER!!

Lemme start from the beggining:



So I was sitting inside, when I had the sudden urge to canter across the pasture on Valley. I thought to myself, the only way I can do that anytime soon, is to go work with Valley so I can get her trained. So, I grabbed my helmet, handy stick and string, and my Clinton Anderson leadrope and headed outside. I decided to go ahead and feed both horses since I was going to have Valley out anyway, and I didn't want Chloe standing inside the pasture doing nothing. So I grabbed Valley's other leadrope and halter, and headed towards the shed where I feed Chloe and Valley.



After I fed them, I left Valley tied up, but shortened her leadrope. I got a saddle pad and put it on her. Then got the English saddle, and put it on Valley. After I tightned the girth as much as I could, I untied her, and took her down where she usually grazes.

My dad was there watching, and I started to lunge here, and she was doing small bucks. They wern't exactly bucks but close to it. I wanted to get her 'bucking' on camera, so my dad went to get the video camera. It wasn't charged, so we had to wait till it charged some.

When the camera was done charging, my mom came down with it. She filmed, my dad watched, and I lunged. : ) Valley 'bucked' here and there. I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing. I wish I had a round pen, so I could put here in there and let her buck, instead of my attempting to lunge her while she was bucking.

After a bit, I stopped lungeing Valley, and called my dad over. He held Valley close by the leadrope, and I lowered the stirrups. And then I put my left foot in the stirrup, and I..

*drum roll please* thank you

..mounted!! That was the first time I'd ever been on Valley while she had been wearing saddle. My dad s..l..o..w..l..y.. led Valley a few steps. I felt like I was a little kid riding a pony for her first time. It kind of was actually. Valley's a horse, but pony sized, I had someone leading me SLOWLY, and it was my first time for being on Valley with a saddle! Lol. So kind of the same. Not really. Nah.

Anywhoo...

I then told dad to hand me the leadrope and step away from Valley and I. I took the leadrope and flexed Valley on both sides, then I practiced turns with her. She did great! It felt really weird for me to be sitting on her while she's walking with a saddle. Before when I've sat on her bareback, she would walk around to graze, but it felt different with the saddle. She did great on her turns, and I was HAPPY! I'm glad mom got that on film. :)

3 comments:

Anika said...

oo! thats soo cool! Are you gonna put the video up? That'd be cool to see!

Sarah said...

I'll try. We filmed it on the video camera, and I don't know how to put that on here, but I'll figure it out. Before, I always filmed things with my camera.

Anonymous said...

THAT IS SO COOL!!! That sounds like so much fun!!!

-Mitch
p.s. If you can please put the video on here.

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me