Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Turning

After I fed the horses today, I took Valley down to graze, and hopped on her back. Valley was getting too close to a tree, so I pulled the leadrope out to the left to get her to turn, and used my left leg, to push/tap her left side to get her to turn, and she did! I was like so happy!!

I did it a couple, more times, then went inside to get my helmet incase she decided to buck, and I didn't want to take the chance of falling off and hitting my head on something.

I asked my mom if she could come watch me do it once, so she did. I did it once for her, then she went back inside.

I did the turning thing with Valley twice more (I think), once on each side, then when I tried the third time, and she got mad. She started bucking (not really hard or anything, just lightly). I figured she would before she actually did it, and I jumped off, and immedately made her back up a few feet. When I let her stop, she licked her lips (sign that she's thinking about what she did), then I got back on her, did the turn one more time (so she wouldn't think she gets me off her back by bucking), then put her back in the pasture.

Hopefully I'll be motivated to work with her tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and the day after that, and the next day, and the day after that, and the day after that and the d-- ok. I think you got it. Oh, you don't? OK well then, and the day after that, and the day after that, and so on...

No comments:

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me