Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lives come and go

I knew that Chloe was old, and was going to... go to horsey heaven soon. The day before yesterday, she was laying down on the ground and wouldn't get up. I figured that would be the day she would... pass. Until that time came, I got two rubber bowls (Chloe and Valley's feed bowls) and filled them with water (from the lake which isn't really clean...) for her.

Yesterday, I went out to the pasture to feed the horses, and Chloe was still alive and still laying on the ground. She was doing a lot worse. She was laying flat out, and would every 2 minutes or so lift up her head to let blood drain out :( I stayed out there for a few minutes, then went back to the house. This time I returned with Adam. He would help her left up her head everytime she had trouble, and then help her lay her head back down because if he didn't, she would slam her head hard on the ground.

I went back to the house to get some of our school books, clean water for Chloe, and lays chips for Adam. Then Adam went to the house and got us some lawn chairs. After a while, I went back to the house to call mom (Adam and I were home alone) to see if she would call the vet to come put Chloe down cuz I'm a wimp and wouldn't do it. Then Adam came back in and said that Chloe.... died. :( So we didn't have to call the vet. Today, we had a neighbor come by that had a backo (I KNOW that is not spelt right, LOL) come by and dig a hole and put Chloe in it.




-Sarah

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry!!!! :'( has Valley been acting different since??

Sarah said...

It's ok.. Mom and Adam said that when they covered Chloe up, Valley was neighing, and kept pawing and nudging the blanket :(

Anonymous said...

Oh ok.....did you stay inside??

Sarah said...

Yes, I didn't want to see her.

Anonymous said...

Ok, yeah that is probably what I would have done too! :(

Mellimaus said...

Hey,

I'm so sorry! That's so sad. She's running in heaven now...that sounds so cheesy. But anyway, I'm sorry.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how would you have put Chloe down yourself?...and why was blood draining out of her head?...I hope you don't mind me asking. if you don't want to answer, that's fine.

Hope you're ok.
<:-)

<3

Anika said...

Sarah, I am so so so so so so so sooo sorry. I feel so bad for you. I know what you're goign through, I still miss oreo and it's been 4 months. Sometimes at night I think about him and stuff, which makes me cry, because I think about how I won't be able to ever pet him, or call his name, or just see him. When Oreo was put down, my mom cut off his tail, and its in my room. Some people think it's weird, but I don't. I'm glad I have. It used to smell like him, but not really anymore. I had the same questions as Melissa, but you don't have to answer them if you don't want to.
Again, I'm really really sorry.

Sarah said...

@Mellimaus and Ankia: Thanks guys! *cyber hug*. I meant for the VET to put her down with a shot. NOT me. :) And I don't know why blood was coming out of her nose...

Misha said...

Oh, I'm really sorry. I know you'll really miss her. I can sympathize -- hope you're ok!

Anika said...

ohh i get it, you said you were a wimp and wouldn't do it. as in, call. haha ok. aww thats so sad. i said this like 10 times, but im so so sorry. :(

Sarah said...

@Tibby: thank you!

@Anika: Yeah, :) Thanks. :)

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me