Thursday, May 21, 2009

Neck reining

Sometime last week, I was reading Black Beauty and in chapter 2 (training) says (talking about when his master put the bit in his mouth) "I didn't like it at all, but I knew my mother and the other horses wore one. So, with my master's pats and kind words, as well as the oats, I got used to wearing my bit and bridle."

That gave me an idea. I hadn't been working Valley - mostly cause I didn't have a plan to work with her - and I wasn't getting anywhere in her training. But Those sentences right there that Anna Sewell wrote gave me an idea. I was sort of going to start over with Valley's training. I was first going to put a bridle on Valley and get her used to that before moving on to the saddle.

So a few days ago (I can't remember exactly when. It might have been Sunday or Friday I don't remember) I started her "new training". I did as usual, and got her out of the back pasture (dad still hasn't finished the fence *rolls eyes*) and took her up to the barn to eat. After she ate, I walked her around the front pasture to graze.

Next, I took her up to the house. I tied her up to the trailer (not horse trailer, just a regular trailer. I'll get a pic for ya :) and went to the shed to get Valley's bridle. I took off Valley's halter and slipped on the bridle which Valley didn't fight. From the moment I put on the bridle to the moment I took her down to where my "invisible round pen" is (where I used to take her and Chloe down to graze, by the lake), she was chewing on her bit.

I had Valley stand there for a few minutes to get used to the bit, and then I flexed her on both sides a few times. Then I got up on her back and flexed her on both sides a lot. She tried to move around at first but of course I ain't gonna take that! So I kept flexing her until she stood still. It didn't take too long.

I backed her up a few times and she's really good at that - especially on the ground. When I'm on the ground, I barely have to pull back on the rope, cause she knows what "back" means. :) I love my horse.

While I sat there on her back, I decided that I should work on her turning. But then I thought that since I am training her to ride western, then I should teach her to neck rein :) Now I have no idea about how to do that, so I just made it up lol. So hopefully I'm doing it right.. Anyways, I took the reins in my right hand, and pulled them to the right. Valley was pretty confused at first, but I was kicking/putting pressure on her side, so she figured out what I wanted her to do and she turned to the right.

She did okay for her first time.. but it's gotten a little better with each day I do it with her. But yesterday, when I kept trying to get her to turn, she would flex instead (mostly on the left side) and try to (sometimes succeeding) bite my legs! It hurt! And I couldn't get her to turn her head around and it was annoying. I finally got her to behave, and I got her to walk around my invisible round pen :):) So fun!!

Anyways, here are a few oldish (about a week lol i think the first time I did the bridle thing) of my dirty pony-sized 3 yr old HORSE :P I would have put some more updated pictures of a few days ago, but I can't find my camera so i can't upload them on the computer.. anyways, here are the pictures:

















She's filthy!!!















she gets bored pretty easily ha ha




















Peace out,
Sarah

6 comments:

Mellimaus said...

That's GREAT that you're training her! You're doing the neck reining right :).
Do you think you'd try a bitless bridle?...either a Dr. Cook's or a hackamore? It'd be cool if Valley could ride bitless...I'm going to try going bitless this summer with Daisy, and I'm SO excited! Check out http://www.bitlessbridle.com/.
It's so cool...the books I mentioned a few months ago, The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd, didn't include anything about going bitless, but the author went bitless soon after, and he say's it's a big change...apparently, when horse's wear a bit their mouth isn't closed all the way because of it, so it's hard for them to breath well, the way they should when working...so yeah, sorry for, like, advertising :-P.

I think Valley is SO super pretty! Keep up the training! I WANT TO READ MORE!!!!! :D

Sarah said...

Hey Mallimaus, good, I didn't want to do it wrong :P

Yeah I was going to do that, I just don't have a hackamore yet. I'll check out that website tommorow (going to bed now). I think she would do alot better without a bit. She might actually kind of like training :P

Really? Cool, thanks :) I rode her on a "trail" (about 30 seconds walking lol) through our teeny woods on our property yesterday and today and I'm going to post about that hopefully tomorrow :) cuz it's real interesting.

Anika said...

:] i love hearing about your "adventures" with Valley. And, I agree, she is soo pretty!! Keep posting! Keep up the good work :p

Misha said...

thats amazing! Valley's super pretty =]

Shelby said...

She's beautiful! You're so lucky to have a horse...

Sarah said...

Thanks to all of you :)

A canter is a cure for every evil.
~Benjamin Disraeli

Valley Likes:

  • Apples
  • Attention
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Company
  • Grain
  • Grass
  • Having her ears scratched
  • Hay
  • Swimming across the lake to visit her horsey neighbors
  • Wide open space to run and buck :)
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Valley Dislikes:

  • being locked in the back pasture
  • being away from my other horse, Mississippi
  • being ridden
  • Having to stand still
  • anything I want her to do
  • being ridden in a direction that is not towards the neighbors horses or the barn
  • The 'Jolly Ball' I bought her. Lol
  • Being tied up without food to eat
  • Having her hoofs picked (although, she cooperates)
  • lunging
  • Taking worm medicene
In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Things That Valley Does...

  • bites sometimes..
  • bucks
  • swims through lake to get out of pasture to visit horsey neighbors
  • chase my dog
  • anythin to be stubborn. She likes being stubborn.
  • Gallop and buck when I put her back in the pasture after she's been out for a while
  • Licks my hands
  • Tries to eat grass while I'm leading her
I bless the hoss from hoof to head -From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -I bless the hoss, as I have said,From head to hoof, and back again!
~James Whitcomb Riley


A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

The horses paw and prance and neigh,Fillies and colts like kittens play,And dance and toss their rippled manesShining and soft as silken skeins;...~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Names I Call Valley (in order of what I call her most)

  • Valley
  • Vales
  • Silly Goose

Our first day!!

Our first day!!
Adam, Valley, Me